Population and election of commissioners or council members

Weber County's 15 cities and towns account for 94.1% of total county population and 93.5% of voting age population, up a bit from 2010 census numbers. Unincorporated Ogden Valley is only 2.6% of county population, 2.9% of voting age population.

The primary purpose of cities and towns is to provide locally elected government for their populations, who then legislate and enforce town law, legislate taxes and provide municipal services. Thus, for 94% of Weber County residents their laws and services are governed by locally elected town officials. On the other hand, the 6% of county residents who live in unincorporated Weber County rely solely on county government for law, taxes and services. This creates an extremely unbalanced situation: 94% of voters don't really care about county decisions regarding water, sewer, zoning, planning and the like because their town governments, directly elected, make those decisions. Indeed, their issues with county government are totally different and their desire to change the form of Weber County government derives from them.

This all matters to Ogden Valley residents for some important reasons: (1) for every Ogden Valley resident vote for commissioners or council members there are 38 votes by people with quite different needs, concerns and issues, (2) every city or town has an elected, organized, committed group of officials who lobby county officials as needed, and (3) town mayors and council members get invited to the table.

Our current three-commissioner form of county government is elected at large and have largely done a good job of responding to the needs, concerns and issues of the people outside of the cities and towns...it has been fairly easy to get their ear. This may not be so if they are elected to represent a subset of the voters (a district), especially if the districts align with city/town boundaries. In that case, they will be individually looking out for the interests of their constituents, which means the interests of the cities and town in their district.

A new form of county government may have commissioners or council members elected from districts and strive for district representative equity. Here are the numbers: if three commissioners or council members are elected by district, each would be elected from a voting base of some 80,000 people, 48,000 for five representatives. 35,000 for seven. All unincorporated Weber County is only 14,000 people and Ogden Valley is only 6,000-ish, 7,000 if Huntsville is included. This means unincorporated Weber County will NOT have its own representative, let alone Ogden Valley. Even combining most of rural Weber County (all unincorporated areas plus, Farr West, Marriott-Slaterville, Hooper, Plain City, Huntsville and West Haven) only adds up to 50,000 people. Compare this with Ogden with 85K, Roy with 38K, North Ogden 18K, and South Ogden 16K.

Most recent available census data (2010 and 2016):

2016 Data
population total

growth
voting age

growth
Incorporated Weber County
227,094
94.1%
8.6%
160,485
93.5%
10.0%
Unincorporated Weber County
14,234
5.9%
3.4%
10,414
6.5%
2.4%
Ogden Valley CCD w/o Huntsville
6,349
2.6%
13.3%
4,673
2.9%
9.6%
Non OV unincorporated
7,885
3.3%
-3.5%
5,741
3.6%
-2.9%







2010 Data






Incorporated Weber County
209,080
93.8%

145,952
93.0%

Unincorporated Weber County
13,769
6.2%

10,173
7.0%

Ogden Valley CCD w/o Huntsville
5,602
2.5%

4,263
2.9%

Non OV unincorporated
8,167
3.7%

5,910
4.0%

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

County Commissioners put study question on the ballot

Land use planning in an optional form of Weber County government